Friday, September 3, 2010

Holland Gouda and Sam Smith Stout


We're still slowly working through the cheese from the party on Sunday. I don't know how I thought people were going to be able to eat this much cheese!!! I put out about half of what I bought so I could reload with fresh reinforcements when necessary. We never got through more than the first onslaught!

So, I take these opportunities to play with cheese pairing. I got a decent Gouda from Holland that Kara is going ga-ga for. My "go to" Bible recommends dark Ales, Stout, Bordeaux, Burgundy and Alsace wines. I pulled a 1er Cru Beaune from Chanson 2005 and popped a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout.

The Stout worked great! Actually, we also had Delice de Bourgogne and an English White Cheddar on the plate as well. The Delice really emphasized the sweeter caramel/cane syrup tones in the beer, while the Gouda drew out the smokier and ashy marshmallow side. Kara, who hates dark beer, preferred it with the Gouda, but still didn't want to drink it.

The Burgundy did well with all of the cheeses actually, but it seems to be in an odd place right now in its lifespan. It's not giving off much character. Fruity, sure! Straightforward fruit with not much else. I'm hoping that it's going to develop some nuance over time. Yes, opening these things so soon is infanticide, but you've got to be able to try them sometimes!

So, only 73 more servings of cheese to go! I'm putting calls out to everyone I know to come help. Wine is included - just show up!

No comments:

Post a Comment