Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spontaneous 'Cab and Cow' Moment


While we normally reserve 'Cab and Cow' for when my folks come to town, Kara and I couldn't resist the other day. We hopped in the car and raced over to the Morton's Steakhouse in Burbank with a bottle of wine in hand. Racing to make it before they shut down lunch service, we had to grab a bottle quickly so I pulled an old stand-by: Frostwatch Cabernet Sauvignon 2007.

The truth of the matter is that when Kara had her burger at dinner with Daniel and Monica, it was overcooked and she was somewhat disappointed. I swore to her that if she came at lunch, it would be spot-on since those chefs cook so many of them. Well, I was right! She unfortunately ordered medium-rare, thinking it would be overcooked. Seabass (the chef I used to work with when this was my stomping ground) nailed it! But she didn't actually want mid-rare, so she sent it back for more love. Then, it came back almost well-done. Tragedy, but expected.

On the other hand, the Frostwatch Cab 2007 is still showing awesomely. I know you don't know this wine. Nobody does! Brett Raven made a whopping fifty cases of it with fruit sold to him by David Ramey from the Larkmead vineyard in Calistoga. It's absolutely gorgeous California Cab that reminds me of a second-label version of Caymus Special Selection. Brett has only made this wine twice: 2005 and 2007. The '07 smokes the '05, but both are good wines and pretty awesome for the price at $35-ish retail.

The bad news is that of the 50 cases he made of the 2007, I bought 27 of them for Jar and we've pretty much sold out of it(We've reverted back to the last four existing cases of the 2005 out of dire necessity). So, it's unlikely you'll ever see this killer wine. Unless you want to drop by the house, in which case I might be able to locate a bottle for us to try.

We topped the lunch off with a shot of Fernet Branca and went drunkeon shopping. I to Albertson's and Kara to the Pet Supply Store. I grabbed supplies for dinner, ogled the actor who plays Newman on Seinfeld in the frozen foods section, and then we tooled home with the top down on the Mustang. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment