Saturday, September 18, 2010

Stephan Ehlen 'Erdener Treppchen' Riesling Kabinett 2007


We've been pouring this great little Riesling by the glass at Jar for a while now. It amazes me how few people actually order Riesling there. Usually it's girls who know they're a little sweet and lower in alcohol. AND the smart wine drinkers who know that it pairs fairly well with many of our starters and brilliantly with a select few. I, for one, am happy just to have a glass available to me at the end of a long night of work.

Every time I go back to this Riesling, I rediscover how much I really like it. It's got wonderful complexity and I'm not embarassed to say that it's really inexpensive - probably $15 - $20 retail. On the nose, it offers classic petrol notes, peach, lime candy, white flowers, Meyer lemon, and slate. On the palate, it's slightly sweet, with honey, chamomille and balancing acidity. As far as my palate goes, I could want even a little more acidity. And at 9.5% alcohol, no one has to worry about moving on to the next wine or going in for Round 2!

For the summer, Jar has been serving a Dungeness Crab and Watermelon Salad with Jalapeno Vinaigrette. This has been a spot-on pairing for me and I keep coming back to it. I can't think of anything I'd rather be eating at Jar.

(On a side note - I'm re-tasting this with some Trader Joe's White Cheddar Corn Puffs and totally digging it!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment