Monday, February 28, 2011

Vincent Auxey Duresses 2007


A casual dinner at home, I opened a bottle of Jean-Michel Vincent's Auxey-Duresses 2007 for our Chicken Cordon Bleu. Simply decorated spaghetti noodles along with some roasted Brussels Sprouts. Seemed like a simple, classic French meal to me...

I bought this Burgundy a year ago for Jar and picked up a few for my personal cellar as well. I've always liked the vibrant acidity of these 2007's. With a year in hibernation, I figured it was about time to check back in with this old friend. And what better way to revisit than with a regional pairing of Cordon Bleu?

I was somewhat disappointed with the showing of the wine this go round. The fruit was in hiding, barely showing some green pear and a very strong lemon frame. Plenty of chalky and pithy aromas, though and a strong mineral component. This was not a bad wine, by any means, but seemed a little sleepy still and may want some more time in the cellar to really show off. I finished the last glass the following day and it was coming out of its shell a little but more.

As far as pairing goes: it didn't have much for the food to draw out, so it wasn't brilliant. Not to say White Burgundy wouldn't be a great pairing, but this wasn't the bottle on this particular day.

The Cordon Bleu was killer, though! I merge the best aspects of some recipes I've used over the years and it has never disappointed. I love this "sandwich" prep where it isn't rolled up, but rather just two pieces of chicken with goodies in between and then breaded to bind it. It takes a little skill and patience to keep it all together, but it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment