Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Melbourne and Sydney, Australia


While there wasn't much to speak of wine-wise during this leg of the trip, I would be remiss not to include it in the Australia recap. These couple of days were really more debaucherous and allowed us to cut loose a little bit after being on such good behavior for Wine Australia.

As soon as we were checked into the Hyatt, Russ, Jens and I walked over to Chinatown. It just happened to be Chinese New Year! We dropped into a cool wine shop and remarked how there is such a focus on Australian wines. Here in the US, we seem to tip our hats to the world equally, but there is definitely a more domestic-focused contingency there, it seems. We dropped into a local pub and slugged down a palate-cleansing ale before racing back to the Hyatt to get ready for dinner.

Dinner was held for us at the Press Club. Our hosts secured a private room where we dined with some winemakers and owners. We were all a little tired on this particular evening and more than a little run down. We were also so tired of 1) Duck 2) Lamb and 3) Cheese. We powered through the dinner and the wines poured for each course. The food was very good, but also very "fancy". There were some molecular gastronomy-type things going on in the dishes and, on occasion, there were just too many things going on in the dish. But overall, it was very good.

We retired from the dinner as early as was polite to go home and get some rest. We knew we were going to have a big day in Sydney when left to our own devices.

The next morning, we were headed for the airport and Sydney. A short flight later, we landed and were whisked off to the Shangri-La Hotel, overlooking the Darling Harbor. Our cab driver was very informative, showing us major sights and taking us for a quick spin by the Opera House before dropping us off. After a quick check-in, we grabbed a cab to take us to our last formal event of the trip.


We were treated to lunch by Robert Oatley Vineyards, a large winery that we have access to here in the US. The wines are solid and likely a little more of what you would expect from a large-scale Aussie winery. They produce a Rose, Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot, Cab and Shiraz. We overlooked the Darling Harbor (from the other side of our hotel) and feasted on a variety of local seafood, selected by our sommelier for the wines. The Mud Crab was really delicious and an impressive presentation. And I was really jones-ing for some oysters!

When we left, I think we all felt like we had just been released from school for the summer. I wanted to fling some papers out of my backpack as I ran from the restaurant. We had decided we were going to take the "Manly Ferry" over to Manly Beach so we could see Sydney Harbor and also the beaches. It was a gorgeous ride across the harbor, despite Marie and I getting completely soaked at the front of the ferry.

Manly Beach was amazing! It completely reminded me of South Beach, but a heckuva lot smaller. We watched the ocean and the people for a bit, then ducked into a cool hotel for where I intended to buy the gang a round of shots and beers. Oddly enough, this place wouldn't serve shots or any liquor that didn't have a mixer in it. Russ and I quickly eyed the high-end Scotches and Cognacs behind the bar and wondered 1) Why they would carry them at all and 2) what horrific injustices had been dealt to those products since they could not be served up or neat. Tragic!

Eventually, I was able to buy the round of tequila and beer I had hoped. Right by the ferry dock, in fact! Which made the ride back to downtown Sydney much more entertaining. The sun had gone down at this point and we were treated to an even more magnificent view of the city.

The rest of the evening turned to pure debauchery. My plan to try to adjust back to Los Angeles time was to stay up most of the night and try to sleep on the plane. I had also promised the group that we would "tear Sydney up". We began stopping at a pub on our way back to the hotel where we enjoyed a round of Belgian beers. A quick jaunt back to the Shangri-La to freshen up and we were off to dinner. I can't remember the name of the place, but we ate at a Japanese sushi-type place. The food was pretty good. We were all just so happy to be eating fish and not meat for a change. Some sake and Riesling rounded out the experience.

I grabbed a double espresso and the best cappuccino eclair I've ever had in my life from a little store close by and was fueled to stay awake for the long haul. Our server sent us to a night club called Ivy which was a little too "trendy" for us. We wound up at a place called Establishment. We stayed there doing shots of Maker's Mark and drinking beer until 3am. Dawn and I tore up the dance floor most of the time while Jens held down the bar. Russ and Marie had long since petered out.



The next morning was rough. I allowed myself about three hours of sleep before I woke up and went for a run on the treadmill (I was pretty much still trashed). We got our things together and made it to the airport. I was dumbfounded that they were pouring liquor and wine samples in the Duty Free area. And stuff like Remy XO, Johnnie Walker Gold, Moet & Chandon Rose! We did some gift shopping and had a quick bite before settling in at the gate.


The most important purchase I made was my mini-bags of Smith's Lamb and Mint-flavored potato chips to bring home. I know I've only mentioned potato chips a couple of times, but we powered through about 12 bags of different chips on our road trip: Sweet Chili Sauce and Sour Cream, BBQ Ribs, Lamb and Mint, Crispy Bacon, Morrocan-Spiced Chicken and Lemon, Honey Soy Chicken, Ketchup, etc. Lamb and Mint were profound, followed by BBQ Ribs and the Chicken flavors. I can't believe we can't get these flavors here...

Well - there you have it! The Victoria wine experience as provided by Wine Australia. This state, country and continent were never really on my radar for places I was dying to travel to, but after this amazing journey, I am strongly considering a return in the coming years. Even if just for potato chips and to drink those amazing Yarra Chardonnays again.

No comments:

Post a Comment