Sunday, August 8, 2010

Wedding In Napa


It's been a LONG week. I'm sure you've had your share. But the end of that challenging tunnel has arrived. And the light at the end of it sits on a vineyard in Napa at the Paradigm Winery guest house. And that is where I sit right now scribing this brief blog to you, my friends.

My good friend Trae is getting married tomorrow at the Culinary Institute of America. I was fortunate enough to be asked to be a part of his wedding party. Any excuse to go to Napa, eh? Kara and I got home around 1am last night (this morning?) and quickly packed all we might need. After a few hours of sleep, we hopped in the car and sped up here to make it in time (barely..) for the rehearsal.

It's absolutely gorgeous up here today. Seventy-eight degrees, not a cloud in the sky and a cooling breeze. I think the grapes are very happy. I couldn't think of a more perfect place to be typing to you from. The picture above is taken from where I am sitting right now at the kitchen table window. Yes, those are vines out there! And the grapes are only just beginning to change color. But it's still beautiful. I can't wait to get back up here in October!

We had a bottle of Paradigm Cabernet Franc 2006 waiting for us in the kitchen. Aromatically, it smells like cherry Twizzlers and fresh black cherry, fresh tobacco leaves. On the palate, fairly well-structured with fruit opening up into blackberry and black plum. The tobacco morphs more into a cigar box with dusty tannin that also eludes to cocoa powder. It's a cool little wine. They don't distribute it so I'm always excited to have the opportunity to try it.

Well, I'm late to get to the rehearsal dinner at Neal Family Vineyards. We're having a pig roast and a boat load of wine, I'm sure. It's going to be a fantastic weekend. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment