Thursday, August 26, 2010

33rd Birthday Celebration


After our party the night before, Kara and I were a little slower getting started the morning of my birthday than we'd hoped. But, we eventually got our act together and jumped in the car to head down to Disneyland. Kara is convinced that I'm at my happiest when in Disney theme parks. What better place to spend the birthday? Bill and Beckie were meeting us down there with Callie (their daughter) to spend the day.

The park was a blast, as usual. California Adventures serves wine, beer and margaritas as well. So, I had a Karl Strauss Oktoberfest with my chicken soft tacos for lunch at the Pacific Wharf. Then, with a full stomach and fading hangover: off to the Paradise Pier Roller Coaster to start the day!

After a day full of festivities and rides (including the re-screening of Captain EO with MJ!!!), Kara and I snuck off to the Napa Rose Restaurant in the Grand Californian hotel. I'd never been, but had been wanting to go for a long time. We got in without a reservation. The atmosphere is okay: Kara said it had a "cafeteria"-feel to it, but also made her not feel so bad about wearing a tank top and sandals. There were elements that infiltrated from the theme park that made it a little tacky. But the food and service were top notch.

After cocktails, I ordered a bottle of Abazzia Barolo 2004. Incredibly young, I know! But a great vintage and it was one of two Barolos on the menu (the list is very heavy in California, as one might expect). After a quick decant, we dug into it along with our Rabbit Meatloaf and Quail Egg, Red Pepper Ketchup and Fava Bean Salad. After this course, we knew it was going to be an awesome experience. The Barolo was perfect with the rabbit cutting the firm tannin and showing off some more spice notes and florality. Kara was most impressed with the Red Pepper Ketchup.

For dinner, Kara ordered a Roasted Duck with Goat Cheese Stuffed Cherries. I ordered the Braised Short Ribs in Zinfandel Jus. We accompanied that with a Truffled Orecchiette and Cheese (Mac and Cheese!). The Duck was the best pairing of the night with the Barolo, I must say. It just sung. The Short Ribs, while awesome, were a little heavy for the wine, but dang were they good! Their Truffle Mac is pretty awesome as well. Everything on the table was excellent and we were totally happy.

We had to run off immediately to get back to see the new water show called World of Color. This show was absolutely spectacular! A must see! Words can't really do it justice - even trying to explain the concept or technical aspects will make it sound lamer than it is. You just have to see it.

This was one of the most fun birthdays I've had in years. Granted, after working most of them, having the day off was a plus. But I can't thank Kara enough for showing me such a great time. Can't wait 'til next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment