Wednesday, August 25, 2010

On the Eve of 33


I don't usually "get into" my own birthday. I'm pretty sure I've worked for the past ten of them of so. Even my 30th! But, I figured I was crossing a boundary this year into the wild world of Middle-Agedom (closer to 35 than to 30 - ) so why the heck not?! And I was about due to celebrate a birthday for a change. So, we started celebrating on the Eve of 33!

Matty, Bill, Beckie and their daughter Callie all dropped by on Monday night for a low-key hang. Kara had tried to organize an official party, but just couldn't get everyone together on a weeknight. So, we got some pizzas from our favorite local joint and just popped some corks while Callie was entertained by one of my Tom and Jerry DVD's in the background.

The line-up:

We started out with a Vine Cliff Cabernet Sauvignon 1995. Rob Sweeney (part owner of Vine Cliff who we ate with at Redd recently) had been saying that this was one of their better wines. I just happened to have a bottle that I picked up with a '94 last year and thought we might give it a shot. The '94 we drank earlier this year was going vegetal and was definitely past its prime. Tangy and green - not a good showing. This '95 however was far more structured and dark, with dusty/chalky tannin and still showing good black fruits. It seems it may have a few more years ahead of it even. While not a profound wine, it was very good for a fifteen year old California Cab and better than I expected from it. And I picked it up for about $30 after shipping off Wine Commune. I think I just saw a couple close at $25 this weekend on that site. Pretty awesome deal!

Next, on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I pulled out a Lewis 'Mason's' Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 for Bill. I've written this wine up recently so I won't bore you with the tasting notes again, but this was clearly the favored wine of the evening. Bill was one of my bartenders when I was the GM of Sterling Steakhouse in Hollywood. We poured this by the glass as our premium Cab, but I'm fairly certain we drank more than we sold. Still great and instantly gratifying and it has never disappointed anyone I've poured it to or myself for that matter.

I let Bill pick the next wine out of the "Guest Cellar". He selected the Berronia 'Gran Riserva' Rioja 2001. Well, while I think this wine is a terrific value and I do like it, there was no way this was going to follow up the Lewis. Dirty baby diaper, coffee and plum/cherry fruit with dill are always a disappointment after a big ole jammy Cab. So, we corked that back up and I dove down into the real cellar to pull something to redeem myself.

I pulled a Barrel Sample of the 2003 Phelps Insignia. A good friend who worked at Phelps gave us this bottle when we visited a number of years ago when the 2003 was still in barrel. We never did get around to trying it so it became sort of a collector's piece: useless! So, I popped it for fun. Interesting: it definitely wanted a heavier dollop of oak than it had, which I know the final product did. There was a prickle to the mouthfeel still, even after years in the bottle. But the fruit was beautiful and pure Insignia. This was a cool experiment and I'm kind of glad I kept this bottle and finally chose to open it.

Before we even finished the Insignia, I pulled a bottle of L'Aventure 'Optimus' 2003 because Bill has five of them in his own cellar he is saving. He loves the winery. I thought I'd open my last one so he can check in with it to see how it's drinking. It was good, but not as good as bottles I've had in the past. The fruit seemed a little less pronounced (tired, perhaps..?) and while still showing structure, that youthful vivacity that is so joyful in his wines seems to have passed. I personally am glad this is my last bottle, but I will be interested to retaste this over the next day or two.

So - a hearty thanks to the gang for coming over to celebrate with me. These events are always better spent with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment