Monday, May 24, 2010

Vouvray - a Lazy Sunday Friend


Vouvray is one of those wines that I never have around and never really think I want to drink, but when I do - I'm usually surprised at how much I enjoy it. We broke out a bottle of Champalou's Vouvray Sec 2008 yesterday and, as usual, I was in love.

The quick scoop on Vouvray: The Vouvray wine is made from the Chenin Blanc grape in the region of Vouvray in the Loire Valley. Chenin has a propensity for high acidity which makes it very common for producers to make it in an off-dry style that allows the acids to balance out the sugar (like German Riesling). The Champalou Sec still has some sugar in it (about 5 grams, I think), but only enough to make it feel like it just missed "bone-dry". I usually find the following flavors to be consistent: Red apple, honey, citrus and mineral.

It was a simple dinner last night. Costco has these Butternut Squash Ravioli. I just boiled some of those up and made a Browned Butter and added a shaved Parmesan with a "bam" of parsley and cracked black pepper. Worked great with the Vouvray because the sweetness of the squash cut the sugar in the wine and the acidity of the Chenin cut straight through the butter. A cheap and awesome dinner!

The Vouvray is only about $16 retail. We're pouring it by the glass now at Jar, too. Check it out! Maybe with some of those Ravioli from Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment