Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Got the Night Off!!!

Rob Harpest here, Wine Director and Sommelier for Jar Restaurant in Los Angeles. If you don't know Jar or aren't in LA, perhaps you saw our chef and owner, Suzanne Tracht, on the first season of Top Chef Masters. Jar has been open for nearly nine years now, three of which I have had the pleasure of operating the beverage program.

It's my intention with this blog to share a little of my work with you. Everyone always tells me that I have the best job in the world. While some nights it might not seem like it to me, I always try to take a step back and remember that it actually is true. Humans have to eat and drink to survive - what's wrong with enjoying only the best the world has to offer?

So, I thought I might accomplish something with my "surprise" evening off (courtesy of both the Lakers and Dodgers playing games tonight). And hopefully you find some small amount of entertainment in this small undertaking as well.

In this, my inaugural blog, I'm only going to comment briefly on a truly wonderful beer that I'm enjoying at the moment (and struggling not to go pop a second one). Schonramer is a wonderful German beer producer we've been using at Jar for a while now. This year we were privy to their "Saphir Bock", of which they brew only 80 cases, once a year. A special strain of hops is used and the resulting brew is nothing short of spectacular. Rich and sweet as it attacks the palate - complicated with the delicious hoppiness that provide some astringency and cleans up the palate. If you can find it, I highly recommend it. Great for the summer!

Thanks for checking in and I will provide more exciting tidbits as the days roll on.

1 comment:

  1. Beer, beer??? I want to hear your "rantings" about ignorant wine customers in the restaurant!!!

    ReplyDelete