Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Beer Cellar: Second Dip




Well, I just couldn't resist checking in on another of the hibernating guinea pigs after the "Redemption" taste test. So, I thought I might check in on how the Russian River "Damnation" was coming along after a year in cold freeze.




"Damnation" has never been my favorite beer from Russian River, but I do enjoy it. It's a Golden Ale, with a heftier body than "Redemption", but a similar flavor profile. Not unlike Duvel (or Tripel-style Belgians), this fresh bottle I am tasting (from Batch 72) is very precocious on the nose: floral yeasty character dominating some citrus character. On the palate, fairly astringent with the same flavors with a soft, underyling sweetness.

Our one-year aged "Damnation" (labeled as Batch 62) was showing beautiful round aromas on the nose: lemon, tangerine, lime rind and spice in lovely balance. Caramelized wheat/barley notes, toast and a perfumed white floral note are also intriguing. Almost sweet on the palate, with the citrus taking on a slight candied character, the viscosity clings in a way that drives a long balanced finish. The hops and overall character of the beer are completely integrated. The caramel note is even stronger on the palate as well. This beer has definitely benefited from age.
A deeper sense of harmony has been achieved.

The brewery claims that this beer will last up to three years in the cellar. I can't imagine how another year or two is going to make this any better, but I would definitely make a case for tucking some of these away to be enjoyed after settling down. I'm going to throw a box or two into my offsite wine storage to enjoy next year, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment