Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Zind-Humbrecht and TCA







I don't want to get up on the soap box or anything, but I really felt compelled to share this:








I attended a lunch with Zind-Humbrecht probably about two years ago now. If you're not familiar with the wines, they are one of the most famous producers in Alsace. I'm not personally a HUGE fan of Alsacian wines, but I keep pushing myself to find my way in to loving them.

At this lunch, the topic of TCA (corkiness) came up and our host revealed that he had found the way to avoid corkiness in his wines. His theory was that corkiness was caused by the chemicals and pesticides found in the ground. The rains would splash these chemicals on to the cork trees where the cork is harvested and TCA is thereby introduced into the wines. Sounds like an interesting and reasonable theory...?

The Solution: Zind-Humbrecht only purchases cork harvested from six feet and higher on the cork trees. Thereby, avoiding the chemicals and pesticides...

The Result: The 2009 Pinot Gris I opened last night... Corked.

No comments:

Post a Comment