Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fried Chicken and Carillon


I've been on a deep-frying kick. I'm decidedly OCD and when I get going on something, I tend to beat it to death. I had some extra buttermilk in the fridge and decided I was going to make fried chicken. After soaking some chicken breasts in the aforementioned buttermilk for 24 hours, I was ready to fire up a vat of oil and get to work.

I must say that this has been Kara's favorite dinner in a long time, which is actually saying a lot. I prepared a simple Caesar salad, the Buttermilk Fried Chicken and a good old-fashioned box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. The buttermilk/flour combo created an amazingly delicious crusty skin on the chicken breasts and was crisped to perfection. There is something so amazing about good homemade fried chicken. It takes me back to my childhood when my Tennessee-born grandmother would fry chicken for our long road trips to Ohio.

So, to go along with the chicken, we opened a Louis Carillon 'Les Champs Canet' Puligny-Montrachet 2001. Critical reviews put this as well past its prime, but it's drinking beautifully and Kara noted it as the best white Burgundy she's ever had. Balanced acidity, strongly present minerality and integrated oak flavors all come together in this beautiful portrait of what Chardonnay should always be. And this is not a great vintage for them...

In the following days, we ate a lot of fried chicken: wings, legs and more. Needless to say, we are due for a little cut-back on the calories so I think we're aiming for a weeklong diet in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment