Sunday, October 10, 2010

Tenuta di Trinoro Estate 2003







Every so often, disappointment rears its ugly head...





I opened a bottle of Tenuta di Trinoro Estate 2003 with dinner last night after a long night at Jar. Kara and I were enjoying a Kansas City, some roasted carrots and sauteed corn from Chino Farms. A Bordeaux blend from Tuscany seemed a good fit and we hadn't tried this in a few years.

I accept that 2003 was a hot year for Europe that produced less terroir-driven wines, but this was practically a Californian wine. Kara blind-tasted it as New World Bordeaux-blend. The fruit showed as wild berry jam mixed with violets, soft tannins and a short finish. And this is not a cheap wine! While I have confidence in the quality of this producer, I cannot recommend the 2003 vintage of this bottle.

It's possible that this paled in comparison after tasting the 1996 Phelan-Segur and the 1997 Shafer Hillside Select at Jar tonight, which were both showing beautifully. I think I'm suffering from wine envy tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment