Tuesday, October 19, 2010

2001 Produttori Barbaresco 'Moccagatta'








Still drinking Nebbiolo -









I found the 2001 Moccagatta from Produttori del Barbaresco at a tasting held at Pizzeria Mozza almost four years ago now. The tasting featured the entire lineup of their 2001's, other current releases, and a vertical of the Poro vineyard (I think...). We've had the wine on the list since that time and when it came down to my last bottle, I just had to buy it and say goodbye properly.

The menu featured a Prime Ribeye from Costco, the last of our Chino Farms corn sauteed with some red bell pepper, and a long-grain wild rice provided expertly by Rice-a-Roni. I love that stuff! I grew up eating Chicken-flavored Lipton rice for almost every meal. Twenty minutes in the microwave so it got crusty on the edges... Look - you have some weird childhood foods, too!

The wine is drinking beautifully. Still firmly structured and fuller-bodied than the recently reviewed Brovia Barolo. Red cherry, leaning its way toward black, roses and tar, plum and blackberry. The dusty spices are there as well. To my recollection from the tasting, the Moccagatta was the fruitier and more crowd-pleasing bottling and that seems to still be the case.

Delicious wine and great with the meal. I suppose the Ribeye could have taken a heartier wine, but I was certainly not complaining. When great wine is great, fine-tuning to food is usually irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment