Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lewis Cellars 'Mason's' Cabernet Sauvignon 2003



I remember my first taste of Lewis Cellars wine... I was at the Pasadena Convention Center in a room full of about 300 wineries (each pouring on average five wines apiece). The event had been going for four hours and was just wrapping up. Of course, my palate was shot. AND these were back in the days when I thought I was invincible and didn't have to spit! My friend Johnny came bolting up to me with a glass and said, "You HAVE to try this!"

I don't even know what varietal or year it was, but I was sold immediately. I began my crusade for Lewis Cellars wines.

Palates and preferences change over the years. At the time I tasted that wine in Pasadena, I was still really finding enjoyment in those Parker-ized Aussie Shiraz wines. Lewis' style is definitely exctracted in that way, so it makes perfect sense that I dug it. But as I have grown as a sommelier, my preferences tend more toward European-styled reds.

However - there has always been one wine from Lewis Cellars that has NEVER disappointed: Mason's Mt. Veeder Cabernet 2003. It was the only time they ever made this particular wine and the only time they ever got fruit from this vineyard source. We were fortunate enough to pour it by the glass at Sterling Steakhouse back when it was first released. Naturally, I kept a few for the cellar.

So, my good friend Dennis, Randy and Debbie Lewis' son, mentioned that he thought the Mason's was going into its decline. I was mortified. I had it a year ago and thought it was still awesome. I had to crack another one out! The biggest tragedy of my life would be letting one of these bottles pass on without being enjoyed!

I grabbed a bottle out of the cellar and took it to Jar where I could share it with some others.

She was singing beautifully. I see where Dennis is coming from on his thoughts of decline. The alcohol is showing a touch more prevalently than it used to and, while still a monster of a wine, there are moments on the palate where some of the colors are just a little faded. But the delicious chocolate-covered currant and cherry, mocha, and jamminess are all still intact. And what has always been my favorite part about this wine is that it's the only one I've ever had from Lewis that has a Bordeaux-like pencil lead mineral on the finish. I have come never to expect that from California, much less Lewis.

I'm so happy I have a few more of these. I may put them on the 6-month rotation now instead of the full-year, but I'd be happy to drink them all over the next few nights. If you spot this wine out there somehow, please do yourself a favor and try it. You won't be sorry. It's decadently delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment