Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Back in the Saddle!



I KNOW!!! I KNOW!!! I've been MIA for awhile. I'm SORRY!!! You see, every 6 months to a year, I go on a "no drinking, eating healthy" kick to snap off a few pounds and give the liver a break. Sadly, it's a period that doesn't give me many topics and a dark one in my general enjoyment of life. But, here we are again:

Tragedy struck last night as I decided to open one of the very first bottles of Burgundy I ever bought. It was a Dominique Laurent V.V. Gevrey Chambertin 2003. I can't tell you how many times I've skimmed my inventory and thought: No, just wait a little longer. Last night I was ready to pull the trigger. What better time than over a delicious plate of Beef Bourgignon?!!!

Corked! It's not that I'm surprised that the wine is corked. It's just the amount of time that this useless bottle took tying up valuable space in my cellar that bothers me. These are the moments that teach you not to get too attached to your "children".

So, rather than an old vines Village Gevrey, Kara and I shuffled off the disappointment and came back hard with a Charmes Chambertin 2003 by Domaine Tortochot. It was pretty smokin' with the meal. It had candied/sweet tones to the fruit, but maintained elegance and balance. Gorgeous nose - floral and meaty with iron/mineral. By no means a profoud Burgundy, but I will be happy to check in with it again in a few years. It's showing well now and I found myself licking the Bourgignon juice off my fork just to keep some on my palate as I drank the last of the wine.

Just another day on the rollercoaster...

No comments:

Post a Comment